Saturday 21 April 2018

Bordeaux


As the spring brak comes, I have one question to you: fancy a trip? Today, we’re gonna move about 372,82 miles from Paris, to Bordeaux where I spent few days last November. 
What was I doing there in the middle of the semester? Well, I decided to benefit from the cheapest fly tickets I’ve ever seen and visited Ania, my friend from studies in Toruń who had been living in Bordeaux during her Erasmus.  And I swear, we had absolutely wonderful time! I am not going to tell you everything about my stay there, it’s probably the subject for another blog but I’ll shear with you some of the best memories.

Place de la Bourse – one of the symbols of Bordeaux built in 1730. Here, you can admire a colossal fountain inspired by Corinthian’s art. With the perfectly symmetrical buildings and mirror (made from flat water pool) the Place de la Bourse is absolutely unique and worth to visit, specially at night. Take a look at photos!

Cathedral of Saint Andrew of Bordeaux – I must admit that I’m really not into any religion. However, I love visiting churches, cathedrals and basilicas. They are the crowning achievement in human’s architecture skill. This one isn’t an exception. The seat of the Archbishop was consecrated in 1096 so about 100 years after the Mont Saint-Michel, one of the eldest churches in France! I assure you, the Cathedral of Saint Andrew is as beautiful as Notre Dame de Paris!

Rue Sainte-Catherine – If you don’t like visiting museum and churches, you’re probably one of those people who prefer shopping! In this case, you should definitely take a walk along the Tue Sainte-Catherine, almost one-mile-long pedestrian street. You’ll find here all kinds of shops and boutiques (except of souvenirs shops which I needed the  most…). But brace yourself – the crowd is so big that sometimes I was losing my patience for all those people who walk with speed of turtles!

Tour Pey Berland – one of my favorites! This belltower is located next to the Cathedral of Saint Andrew and offers you an unforgettable view of Bordeaux. It is a free-standing tower, called campanile in the language of art’s historians ;) It comes from 15th century. To reach the top, you’ll need to pit against 229 steps which will put you physical condition to the test. But the view is worth every single drop of sweat. We were lucky because the roofs of Bordeaux were decorated with the double-rainbow!

Musée du Vin – the association Bordeaux Historia Vini opened the wine’s museum in 2008. It is small but contains everything you might want to know about famous brand of French alcohol from the history to production and storage systems. At the end of your sightseeing, you’ll be invited for the wine tasting (the best part ;)). The museum’s workers will explain you what makes the wine sweet or dry and how the weather and soil can change the flavor of the speciality of Bordeaux. I hope your head is strong enough to handle all that information ;)


Remember then, France doesn’t end in Paris (contrary to Parisians’ point of view) and there are a lot of interesting places to visit! Maybe you can benefit from our spring break and go for some amazing trip to France?

No comments:

Post a Comment